Jesus stressed the need for building on a good spiritual foundation. He illustrated this truth by a parable of two men who built houses.
These doctrines are listed in the Bible in the book of Hebrews:
- Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
- Of the doctrine of baptisms and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
- And this will we do, if God permit. (Hebrews 6:1-3)
Two spiritual objectives are set forth in this verse:
- The first objective is that of building your spiritual life on the right foundation. This foundation is the doctrine of Jesus Christ.
- The second objective is to go on to perfection. Perfection means spiritual maturity.
There are two reasons for failure to live a victorious Christian life.
- The first reason is that some who are trying to live like Christians have never been born again. They do not understand the basic doctrines of Jesus Christ. Because of this lack of understanding they have failed to make a proper response to God.
- The second reason for failure is not going on to spiritual maturity.
The first purpose of this course is to present the basic doctrines of the Christian faith necessary for a proper spiritual foundation.
The six foundational doctrines of Hebrews 6:1-3 will be discussed:
- Repentance from dead works
- Faith toward God
- Doctrine of baptisms
- Laying on of hands
- Resurrection of the dead
- Eternal judgment
After establishing this foundation, the second purpose of this course is to take you on to perfection [spiritual maturity]…
“…And this will we do, if God permit…”
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the six basic doctrines of the Christian faith listed in Hebrews 6:1-3.
- Establish a proper spiritual foundation in your own life.
- Go on to spiritual maturity.